Julie West heads BPM’s Tax Practice as well as the firm’s Life Science Industry Group. She was named one of San Francisco Business Times’ Most Influential Women professionals in 2012 and recognized as a Silicon Valley Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 business professionals in 2020.
Julie works closely with biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device, software, social media, communications, and manufacturing companies. She began her career at Deloitte and understands the complex business needs of pre-revenue startups to consolidated publicly-traded companies.
Recently, she guided a pharmaceutical company from startup to IPO, including a successful acquisition, collaboration agreements, multiple rounds of funding, and global expansion.
Julie also advised therapeutics company on a merger with a Big Pharma company and future purchase option, including tax planning for changes in control under Section 382, tax planning to minimize liability on upfront milestone and collaboration services, and valuation of future purchase option.
She has over 14 years of experience in public accounting and deals extensively with tax provisions (FAS 109/ ASC 740), FIN 48 analysis for uncertain tax positions, Section 382 studies to determine limitations on tax attributes, and sales tax exposure. She has advised companies involved in a wide arena of transactions, including mergers, asset and stock acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations and foreign expansion. She consults and reviews a variety of tax returns with multi-state and international filings, and helps guide her clients through financings and IPOs. Julie is passionate about building and mentoring her team of outstanding professionals.
Julie West holds an active CPA license in California.
Julie has completed a full marathon, half marathon, and triathlon and hopes to add Tough Mudder to the list in the near future.
- Assisted a privately-held pharmaceutical company which was determined to be a variable interest entity and was required to be consolidated into its public company collaboration partner. Prepared quarterly and annual tax provision disclosures to comply with the public company’s accelerated filing timeline.
- Secured over $150,000 of refundable credit in New York for a manufacturing client, improving cash flow.
- Represented corporations in IRS audit of California FTB Development.
- Implemented sales tax study to assist medical device company’s initial launch of device over a tight timeline.
- Assisted private equity and venture capital funds to increase their ownership of portfolio companies without triggering ownership changes under IRC Section 382.
- Sponsoring Member – Sand Hill Angels (Investment group)
- Member – Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce Finance Committee
- Member – AICPA
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- San Francisco Business Times’ Most Influential Women (2012)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 (2020)
BS, Summa Cum Laude/ Business Administration – Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo